Have you ever had an idea that at the time seemed like a great idea, but the further you got into it, you found yourself wondering “what have I gotten myself into”? Yep, … that’s exactly what happened to me!
The month of July was pretty much a non sewing time for me, with visiting grandchildren and a granddog, and then a migraine that wouldn’t leave and ultimately sent me to the ER. Finally, by mid August I was beginning to feel better so thought it was time to get back to sewing again. About that same time, Deb, the local quilt shop owner, was looking for volunteers to make samples for the shop. All fabrics and patterns would be furnished and once all the kits were sold, the sample would be returned. I casually looked at the samples and most of them were small; just the perfect size to sew quickly…or so I thought! So I said yes, and then she gave me mine…much to my surprise, my sample was a “queen” size quilt top! What was I thinking!
Once home, I laid the fabric out and noticed there were all types of patterns and colors mixed together, but no tone on tone fabric to break up those patterns. Hmm, that’s a lot of different patterns….not my cup of tea….but, since this was the fabric I was given, I started cutting.
One by one the blocks and the rows were sewn together and I was ready for the outside border. Again to my dismay, there was not sufficient border fabric. On top of that, the fabric’ was directional with designs scattered throughout, making it next to impossible to match the seams.
I needed two 72” strips for the side borders and only had 65” length of fabric. Ugh…now what to do… So back to the shop I went and you’ll never guess what I found out… all border fabric had been used in kits and was cut according to the requirements shown on the pattern. Unfortunately…no-one thought about the fabric being directional. So right then and there I knew any change I made would need to be easy so those individuals who purchased the kits could replicate the change.
After several considerations I settled on the only fix I thought would complete the quilt without distracting from the border fabric.
I added purple corner stones with smaller purple center stones in each border. Wha-la…..much to my surprise, the borders looked better than I anticipated. However, the jury is still out on the remaining quilt fabrics.
(Sorry for the picture quality, but due to the size of the quilt, it was hard finding a place big enough to hang it up.)